Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
AFL Div. 1 Roundup - 1st August

AFL Div. 1 Roundup - 1st August

Sat, 4th August 2018


By Daire Walsh

St Vincent’s fell to just their second defeat in Division One of the Adult Football League at 12th Lock on Wednesday evening, losing out to Lucan Sarsfields in the most dramatic of fashions.

With their only previous loss coming against a high-flying Ballyboden St Enda’s in mid-June, Vins were expected to continue their recent winning form. They faced a Lucan side that have achieved mixed results in 2018 - and ended July with back-to-back reversals to Naomh Maur and Thomas Davis.

They were hoping that home comforts would work to their advantage against the county champions, especially with influential figures like Stephen O’Shaughnessy and Darren Gavin in their side.

An opening minute point from O’Shaughnessy helped them to set out their stall, before Vins eventually settled into their customary attacking rhythm. With Tomas Quinn and Enda Varley dove-tailing superbly in the full-forward line, the visitors soon worked their way into the ascendancy.

Following outstanding approach play by Michael Concarr and Cian O’Brien, Quinn rattled the back of the Lucan net. Varley also made a sizeable contribution to the scoreboard, which ensured the Marino men were 1-7 to 0-5 in front at the break.

Impressive scores courtesy of O’Shaughnessy and Gavin (an All-Ireland U21 winner with Dublin last year) kept Lucan in contention, but a Joe Feeney point helped Vins to re-assert their authority on the restart.

The half-time introduction of Harry Ladd galvanised the Lucan challenge, though, and he claimed a superb goal during a powerful purple patch for the hosts. They hit 1-5 without reply to turn the tables on their northside counterparts and subsequently led by three points (1-14 to 1-11) on the stroke of 50 minutes.

In addition to O’Shaughnessy’s superb six-point haul over the hour, Gavin (four) and Sean Cleary (two) also displayed unerring accuracy for Lucan. As expected, there was a final kick left in Vins - whose never-say-attitude was once again in evidence.

Three points in quick succession via the boots of Quinn (two) and Kevin Bonnie left the sides on level terms with the finishing line in sight.

Lucan were determined to come away with the maximum points, however, and the ice cool Jack Carey stepped forward to secure the winning score from the final kick of the contest. This affords Lucan significant breathing space ahead of meetings with Ballinteer St John’s and St Sylvester’s in the coming weeks.

Vincent’s began the night three points clear of holders Kilmacud Crokes and Ballyboden, who have been providing a stern challenge for Brian Mullins’ charges throughout the present campaign.

Crokes and their fellow southsiders were originally set to face St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh and St Jude’s, respectively, on Wednesday, but these fixtures have now been pushed back to later dates.

Castleknock’s game against Ballymun Kickhams was also postponed due to the sad passing of ‘Knock club stalwart Karl Andrews.

With results elsewhere working in their favour, Thomas Davis moved into the top-four with a 0-17 to 0-13 success over St Brigid’s at Kiltipper Road. Naomh Olaf recorded a crucial 2-10 to 1-12 triumph at the expense of fellow strugglers St Sylvester’s at Pairc Ui Bhriain, while Naomh Maur played out a 2-9 to 0-15 draw with Ballinteer St John’s in Rush.

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter