Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
County News
Dublin v Kilkenny: Recent HL meetings

Dublin v Kilkenny: Recent HL meetings

Thu, 23rd January 2020

Dublin senior hurlers will be hoping to emulate their achievement of February 2015 when they face Kilkenny in their HL Division 1 Group B opener this Sunday in Nowlan Park (2.0).

Their 2015 meeting saw Dublin prevail 0-25 to 3-11 at the Kilkenny City venue in their HL Division 1A encounter.

It was Dublin's first victory against the Cats in Nowlan Park since 1964 (Walsh Cup match). Dublin did beat Kilkenny in November 1989 in NHL action in Callan while the previous NHL victory in Nowlan Park was in March 1961.

While there was five point between the sides at the finish Dublin were by far the better side and led by 14 points, 0-24 to 1-7, with 15 minutes remaining.

Here we take a look at recent NHL clashes between the Dubs and the Cats.



Round 1: Kilkenny v Dublin, Sunday, January 26, UPMC Nowlan Park, 2.0

Round 2: Dublin v Laois, Sunday, February 2, Parnell Park, 2.0

Round 3: Carlow v Dublin, Saturday, February 15, Netwatch Cullen Park, 5.0

Round 4: Dublin v Wexford, Saturday, February 22, Croke Park, 5.0

Round 5: Clare v Dublin, Sunday, March 1, Cusack Park Ennis, 2.0


DUBLIN v KILKENNY: Recent HL meetings


SUNDAY, MARCH 26: Parnell Park


Dublin went on to face Clare in a relegation play-off after losing to Kilkenny in this HL Division 1A encounter at Parnell Park.

The Dubs played for 40 minutes with 14 men after goalkeeper Gary Maguire was sent off (straight red card) in the 31st minute for a foul on Liam Blanchfield as he fired to the net.

It was a real turning point in the game as the Dubs had contested very well and led 0-9 to 1-3 after 30 minutes.

Sub keeper Conor Dooley had to be introduced forcing the substitution of Eoghan Conroy as the Cats progressed to hold a 2-5 to 0-10 lead at the interval.

Kilkenny's opening goal arrived in the seventh minute when the influential Conor Martin was in the right spot to finish to the net past Maguire following terrific build-up play by Colin Fennelly.

Dublin had been backed by the wind in the opening half and carried the battle to the Cats.

Donal Burke, a year out of the minor grade, showed several glimpses of his class with one superb first half fetch and long-range angled free as well as a stylish point from play from a difficult angle.

Kilkenny with the advantage of the wind and the extra man restarted the better with points from Liam Blanchfield and Colin Fennelly.

However, Dublin responded brilliantly with a Donal Burke goal after Ryan O'Dwyer's initial effort was parried by keeper Eoin Murphy to bring the sides level.

It was nip and tuck for the following ten minutes before Brian Cody's men began to put distance between the counties on the scoreboard.

Two excellent points from Chris Crummey and Ben Quinn had the Dubs trailing by the minimum, 1-14 to 2-12, with 20 minutes remaining.

But Kilkenny then hit a flurry of points with TJ Reid and Conor Martin to the fore to help their side eventually ease to victory.

Dublin had one late goal sighting but Rian McBride's well struck effort was matched by the athleticism of Murphy in goals to deny the St Vincent's clubman.

SCORERS - Kilkenny: TJ Reid 0-10 (0-6f), C Martin 1-5, L Blanchfield 1-2, C Fogarty, W Walsh, R Hogan 0-1 each. Dublin: D Burke 1-9 (0-7), C Crummey 0-3, B Quinn, R O'Dwyer, C Boland, N McMorrow 0-1 each.

KILKENNY: E Murphy; P Murphy, P Walsh, C O'Shea; C Fogarty, J Cleere, S Prendergast; P Deegan, C Buckley; C Fennelly, W Walsh, TJ Reid; L Blanchfield, R Hogan, C Martin. Subs: J Holden for P Walsh (ht), P Lyng for Hogan (52), K Joyce for O'Shea (61).

DUBLIN: G Maguire; F O Riain Broin, E O'Donnell, S Barrett; C Crummey, L Rushe, C Mac Gabhann; B Quinn, D Fox; E Conroy, N McMorrow, R O'Dwyer; C Boland, D Burke, E Dillon. Subs: C Dooley for Conroy (31), R McBride for Mac Gabhann (52), C O'Sullivan for Boland (58), F Whitely for Fox (65).

REF: P O'Dwyer (Carlow).



SUNDAY, MARCH 20: Nowlan Park, Kilkenny


Kilkenny saw off the Dublin challenge in this HL Division 1A clash at Nowlan Park in front of a crowd of 8,871.

With both sides already qualified for the quarter-finals this tie lacked a real ‘championship’ bite with the Cats always held the upperhand and led 0-7 to 0-1 inside 19 mintues.

By the break they were 0-14 to 1-3 clear with Fionntán Mac Gibb, who started instead of David O’Callaghan, grabbing the Dublin goal to temporarily arrest Kilkenny’s momentum.

However, with TJ Reid to the fore from frees and open play Kilkenny reeled off six unanswered points to establish an eight-point interval advantage.

Dublin rallied in the second half with Eamonn Dillon and Mac Gibb causing problems for the Kilkenny rearguard.

Late on Dillon did have a goal chance but was denied by Richie Reid in the 70th minute.

SCORERS - Kilkenny: TJ Reid 0-11 (0-6f), W Walsh, R Hogan 0-3 each, P Walsh, L Ryan 0-2 each, J Power, K Joyce (0-1f) 0-1 each. Dublin: D Treacy 0-5 (0-4f), F Mac Gibb 1-1, E Dillon 0-3, N McMorrow 0-2, M Schutte, L Rushe, J McCaffrey 0-1 each.

KILKENNY: R Reid; J Tyrrell, J Holden, B Kennedy; P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley; L Ryan, D Cody; W Walsh, TJ Reid, J Maher; JJ Farrell, J Power; R Hogan.Subs: M Malone for Maher (61), S Prendergast for Tyrrell (61), K Kelly for Malone (72).

DUBLIN: G Maguire; E O'Donnell, C O'Callaghan, O Gough; C Crummey, L Rushe, S Barrett; D O'Connell, G Whelan; C Cronin, N McMorrow, D Treacy; F Mac Gibb, E Dillon, M Schutte. Subs: J McCaffrey for Whelan (28), S McGrath for Cronin (46), S Treacy for O'Connell (61).

REF: J Keenan (Wicklow).



SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 22: Nowlan Park, Kilkenny


Dublin's hurlers maintained their early season momentum when defeating Kilkenny in this HL Division 1A clash at Nowlan Park.

This win was Dublin's first victory against the Cats in Nowlan Park since 1964 (Walsh Cup match). Dublin did beat Kilkenny in November 1989 in NHL action in Callan while the previous NHL victory in Nowlan Park was in March 1961.

While there was five point between the sides at the finish Dublin were by far the better side and led by 14 points, 0-24 to 1-7, with 15 minutes remaining.

Dublin's cause was greatly helped by the sending off of two Kilkenny players (both straight reds) with Jonjo Farrell controversially sent off in the 24th minute and sub Joe Lyng in the 55th minute following a high pull on Cian Boland.

However, Dublin played some excellent hurling showing great composure and precision in their play as the hit the ground running from the first whistle to put the Cats on the back foot.

A superb Peter Kelly point on the run in the opening minute set the early tone and by the 11th minute Ger Cunningham's men were 0-7 to 0-1 to the good.

Danny Sutcliffe's power in the air and over the ground were to the fore as the St Jude's man clipped two stylish points while David Treacy was excellent form play and placed balls.

One of the best points of the game arrived in the 11th minute when Shane Durkin showed good vision and timing to reverse the ball to Kelly who split the post form the halfway line.

However, Dublin were punished in the 16th minute when Matthew Ruth was rewarded for his persistence when he first blocked a Paul Schutte attempted clearance before reacting quickest to steer the sliotar past Alan Nolan and then tap into an empty net.

Crucially though Dublin reacted with a Simon Lambert point.

There was just the minimum, 0-8 to 1-4, between the sides when full-forward Farrell was red-carded and it had a telling effect on the game.

Dublin quickly upped the tempo and points from Eamonn Dillon and two Treacy scores (one '65') settled the Dubs.

The Dubs also finished the half in a blitz of scores with Treacy scoring the concluding four points of the half to enter the break 0-15 to 1-5 to the good.

Early points in the second half from Mark Schutte and Sutcliffe strengthened Dublin's position and with Peter Kelly operating as the free man at the back the Dublin defence found itself under little concerted pressure.

Dublin's work-rate didn't drop with the likes of Chris Crummey getting through a mountain of work and Shane Durkin's fine 54th minute points had Dublin 0-24 to 1-7 clear.

However, Dublin were punished in the final ten minutes of the game when Richie Hogan blasted a 23-metre free to the net and four minutes from time Ruth whipped to the net from close range to close the gap.

As the game ticked into added time Danny Sutcliffe was sent off on a second yellow card.

SCORERS - Dublin: D Treacy 0-11 (0-4f, 0-3 '65'), D Sutcliffe 0-4, M Schutte, E Dillon 0-3 each, P Kelly 0-2, S Lambert, S Durkin 0-1 each. Kilkenny: R Hogan 1-7 (1-5f, 0-1 '65'), M Ruth 2-0, JJ Farrell, P Walsh, W Walsh, M Kelly 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: A Nolan; C O’Callaghan, M Carton, P Schutte; C Crummey, P Kelly, C Keaney; S Durkin, S Lambert; C Cronin, E Dillon, D Sutcliffe; D Treacy, L Rushe, M Schutte. Subs: C Boland for Cronin (53), P Ryan for Treacy (65).

KILKENNY: E Murphy; T Keogh, P Murphy, J Tyrrell; B Kennedy, K Joyce, C Buckley; G Brennan, L Ryan; P Walsh, W Walsh, M Ruth; M Kelly, J Farrell, R Hogan. Subs: J Power for Brennan (43), J Lyng for Kennedy (43).

REF: C Lyons (Cork).

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter