Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
County News
FLASHBACK: Dublin v Meath 2005 Leinster Quarter-Final

FLASHBACK: Dublin v Meath 2005 Leinster Quarter-Final

Fri, 12th April 2024

By Conor Martin

With Dublin’s 2024 Leinster Senior Football Championship just around the corner, Conor Martin looks back at the 2005 Leinster quarter-final clash between Dublin and Meath.

Those at Croke Park that day saw another classic between the two Leinster rivals as we finally emerged 1-12 to 1-10 winners.

Dublin were left chasing shadows as Meath put their foot on the gas from the first whistle and even celebrated a goal within the first 10 minutes of the tie when Joe Sheridan’s effort rattled the Dublin net early on. 

Dublin found themselves three points down and were struggling to keep up with the heavy pressure Meath were putting on Paul Caffrey’s men. 

However, by the 14th minute, we were level. Alan Brogan scored a three-pointer, and his effort was followed up by a Conal Keaney score. 

Meath finished the first-half the strongest, with Brian Farrell kicking three scores before a classy Graham Geraghty point gave Meath a 1-7 to 1-5 lead at the half-time whistle.

Things would improve for Dublin in the second-half. Brogan racked up three scores, which were followed by Barry Cahill and Senan Connell points to give the Boys in Blue a two-point lead.

But the job wasn’t yet done and Meath came roaring back. Step forward, Mark Vaughan, who came off the bench to make himself a hero.

Firstly, Vaughan nailed a huge free from 58 metres right between the posts, but Daithí Regan put the pressure on the Dubs when he made it a one score game.

In additional time, Dublin withstood extreme pressure from the Royals, but a spot in the semi-finals was signed, sealed and delivered by Vaughan when he sent another free sailing over the bar to seal the two-point win for the Sky Blues.

Dublin would go on to win the Leinster title, defeating Laois by a point in the final. But in spite of that success, our 2005 season would come to an end when eventual All-Ireland champions Tyrone beat us in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

Dublin: S Cluxton, P Griffin, P. Christie, S O'Shaughnessy, P Casey, B Cahill (0-1), C Goggins, C Whelan, S Ryan, C Moran, A Brogan (1-3), B Cullen (0-1), J Sherlock, C Keaney (0-3, 1f), T Quinn (0-1f)

Dublin Substitutes: S Connell (0-1) for Moran (35), M Vaughan (0-2f) for Sherlock (35), D Homan for Quinn (58), P Andrews for Casey (65), J Sherlock for Homan (66)

Meath: D Gallagher, M O'Reilly, K Reilly, N McKeigue, D Crimmins, D Fay, C King, N Crawford (0-1), A Moyles, N Kelly (0-1), P Byrne, S Bray, J Sheridan (1-0), G. Geraghty (0-3), B Farrell (0-4)

Meath Substitutes: P Reynolds for Kelly (42), S McKeigue for Byrne (53), J Cullinane for McKeigue (56 inj), D Regan (0-1) for Sheridan, P Byrne for Crimmins (67), O Murphy for Crawford (73)

Referee: J Bannon (Longford)

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter