Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
County News
Flashbacks: Dublin v Mayo SFC

Flashbacks: Dublin v Mayo SFC

Wed, 7th August 2019

Dublin and Mayo have a storied recent past and this Saturday (5.0) they are set to attract a full house to Croke Park for their All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

It promises to be another titanic battle this weekend - here we look back at their more recent duels in league and championship.




DUBLIN 1-12 MAYO 0-7

Dublin impressed in defeating Mayo in this FL Division 1 clash at Parnell Park in front of an excellent attendance of 35,213.

The Dubs kept their hopes of defending the title alive following their two defeats earlier in the campaign to Monaghan and Kerry with a display based on a strong defence and a midfield that held the upperhand.

The eight-point margin of victory in no way flattered Jim Gavin's men as the heroics and quick reflexes of Mayo keeper Robbie Hennelly foiled the Dubs on several occasions in both halves.

Dublin's net-minder Evan Comerford also had a telling influence on the outcome as he had a superb penalty save to deny Jason Doherty late in the opening half, as well as a very solid kickout display, as the Blues entered the break 1-6 to 0-3 in front.

Cormac Costello grabbed the only goal of the night in the 19th minute, a terrific individual effort when the turned and twisted to eventually leave Keith Higgins in his wake before arrowing a clinical finish to the net.

There were other positives for Dublin with Jack McCaffrey strong on his return to action, Cian O'Sullivan bringing greater solidity and understanding to the defence and David Byrne, who has been injury hampered, putting in a fine shift on his first start since last April's NFL1 decider.

Ciarán Kilkenny also started following his extended break and will have come on a lot for the 50 minutes of hard graft he contributed.

Dublin never looked under any major threat in the second period as they kept Mayo at arm's length.

SCORERS - Dublin: C Costello 1-4 (0-2f), P Mannion (0-1f), D Rock (0-1m, 0-1f) 0-2 each, C Kilkenny, J McCaffrey, C O’Callaghan, B Fenton 0-1 each. Mayo: R Hennelly (0-1f, 0-1 ‘45’), J Doherty (0-2f) 0-2 each, F McDonagh, M Ruane, K McLoughlin 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: E Comerford; M Fitzsimons, D Byrne, J Cooper; J McCaffrey, C O’Sullivan, E Murchan; B Fenton, D Gavin; B Howard, C O’Callaghan, N Scully; P Mannion, C Kilkenny, C Costello. Subs: D Rock for Kilkenny (49), P Andrews for Mannion (58), S Bugler for Howard (64), D Daly for Fitzsimons (inj, 65), MD Macauley for Gavin (67).

MAYO: R Hennelly; K Higgins, G Cafferkey, B Harrison; P Durcan, C Boyle, L Keegan; M Ruane, D Vaughan; F McDonagh, A O’Shea, C Treacy; A Moran, B Reape, J Doherty. Subs: C Barrett for Cafferkey (inj, 20), K McLoughlin for Treacy (inj, 35+1), S O’Shea for Durcan (ht), F Boland for Moran (59), S Coen for Reape (69).

REF: B Cassidy (Derry).



SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24: MacHale Park, Castebar

DUBLIN 2-10 MAYO 0-12

Goals from Paul Mannion and Niall Scully paved the way for Dublin's victory in this NFL Division 1 clash at Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar in front of a crowd of 15,313.

It makes it four wins from four starts for the Dubs in this year's league with games to come against Kerry, Galway and Monaghan.

This victory means that Dublin under the management of Jim Gavin remain unbeaten Mayo, with a record of ten wins and three draws dating back to 2013.

Dublin started in stunning fashion when a ball over the top by John Small saw Mannion leave his marker, Eoin O'Donoghue, in his wake as the Crokes man sprinted through on goal and left keeper Rob Hennelly with no chance.

Dublin had other first half goal opportunities that they failed to take with Ciarán Kilkenny's effort off his left foot clearing the crossbar while James McCarthy was denied from close range by Hennelly.

Dean Rock was excellent from placed balls as the visitors led 1-9 to 0-7 at the break with Mick Fitzsimons and Jonny Cooper impressing in defence.

Twelve minutes into the second half Dublin as good as sealed victory when Darren Daly, Mick Fitzsimons and Scully were all involved in the build-up leading to a long Rock handpass into the danger zone when Scully appeared at full tilt to outjump keeper Hennelly and Kevin McLoughlin to fist the ball to the net.

Mayo did have chances throughout the game but their shooting let them down while Conor Loftus entered off the bench late on and converted three frees in injury-time while Dublin finished with 14 men after Mick Fitzsimons was dismissed.

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-6 (0-4f), P Mannion 1-1, N Scully 1-0, C Kilkenny 0-2, B Fenton 0-1. Mayo: J Doherty (0-3f), C Loftus (0-3f) 0-3 each, K McLoughlin 0-2, L Keegan, A Moran, S Coen, R Hennelly (0-1f) 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; D Daly, M Fitzsimons, D Byrne; J Cooper, J McCarthy, J Small; B Fenton, MD Macauley; N Scully, C Kilkenny, B Howard; K McManamon, P Mannion, D Rock. Subs: D Connolly for Macauley (44), C O'Sullivan for Small (44), C Basquel for Mannion (inj 44), C Reddin for Howard (61), P Small for Cooper (64), E Ó Conghaile for Fenton (69).

MAYO: R Hennelly; G Cafferkey, E O'Donoghue, C Crowe; C Boyle, L Keegan, M Hall; S Coen, A O'Shea; K McLoughlin, D O'Connor, D Drake; J Doherty, A Moran, A Gallagher. Subs: S O'Shea for Gallagher (55), F Boland for O'Connor (61), C Loftus for McLoughlin (61), S Akram for Drake (66), D Kirby for Doherty (71).

REF: P Neilan (Roscommon).




DUBLIN 1-17 MAYO 1-16

This incredible Dublin team just keep carving their names deeper into the history books as they edged out Mayo in this pulsating All-Ireland SFC final.

A nerveless Dean Rock slotted the winner in the sixth minute of added time, following a foul on Diarmuid Connolly, to seal the three in-a-row for Jim Gavin's men, a feat last achieved by the men from the capital in 1923.

Recent duels between Dublin and Mayo have been ferocious edge-of-the-seat battles and this encounter was another of its genre as the Dubs came from two points in arrears late on to secure the Sam Maguire.

"The three-in-a-row wasn't on our agenda but, Jesus, we can talk about it now!" said an elated Philly McMahon afterwards.

This was a titanic see-saw battle and Dublin were forced to play catch-up on several occasions but showed all the hallmarks of true champions to hold their nerve going down the home stretch.

The Dubs got the ideal start when Young Player of the Year elect, Con O'Callaghan, superbly carved through the heart of the Mayo defence and coolly slotted past David Clarke with the outside of his right boot.

But despite the dream opening the loss of Jack McCaffrey to injury by the eighth minute had an unsettling effect on Dublin's game-plan.

The flying Clontarf man, so often the catalyst of Dublin attacks, had started encouragingly but had to be replaced after it looked like his knee buckled while taking on the Mayo defence on a trademark foray into opposition territory.

By the break the men from the west were in front 0-9 to 1-5 after they had established a stronger platform in the middle third, they had the chances to be further in front at the interval also.

At the break Dublin decided to take remedial action with the introduction of Kevin McManamon and Diarmuid Connolly, both played huge second half roles in Dublin's victory.

From the throw-in Dublin looked more decisive and Paul Mannion, who also had a central part in Dublin's second half improvement, fired over of the left and soon Dublin had the upperhand.

McManamon started to win great first time ball on the run under pressure and forced Mayo onto the back foot. The game began to turn, and then it turned back again.

Both sides had great second half goal chances with Stephen Cluxton denying Jason Doherty and Mannion foiled by Clarke at the other end.

Three-quarters of the way through came a major turning point when John Small was sent-off on a second yellow card and Donie Vaughan got a straight red for the afters. Crucially also a Mayo free was turned into a hop-ball that Dublin eventually secured with Ciarán Kilkenny emerging with possession.

Lee Keegan's thunderous drive for his goal could have given Mayo a winning momentum but the experienced and less experienced heads of Dublin were having none of it.

In a grandstand finish Dublin showed incredible 'bottle' to once again find a way to victory.

"We're so tight as a group, we've been together for so long and we really back each other up to the hilt. If I don't step up one day, someone else will step up. That's the biggest strength of our team, the collective. We've a really special team," said James McCarthy, perfectly summing up the occasion.

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-7 (0-3f), C O’Callaghan 1-0, P Mannion 0-3, J McCarthy 0-2, J Small, E O’Gara, K McManamon, B Fenton, D Connolly 0-1 each. Mayo: C O’Connor 0-7 (0-4f), A Moran 0-3, L Keegan 1-0, J Doherty, K McLoughlin 0-2 each, D Vaughan, Colm Boyle 0-1.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; J Cooper, P McMahon, M Fitzsimons; J Small, C O’Sullivan, J McCaffrey; B Fenton, J McCarthy; C Kilkenny, D Rock, C O’Callaghan; P Andrews, E O’Gara, P Mannion. Subs: P Flynn for McCaffrey (8), D Connolly for Andrews (ht), K McManamon for O’Gara (ht), B Brogan for Flynn (64), N Scully for O’Callaghan (68), C Costello for Mannion (73).

MAYO: D Clarke, C Barrett, B Harrison, P Durcan; L Keegan, K Higgins, C Boyle; S O’Shea, T Parsons; K McLoughlin, A O’Shea, D Vaughan; J Doherty, C O’Connor A Moran. Subs: D O’Connor for S O’Shea (50), S Coen for Boyle (55), C Loftus for Moran (62), D Drake for Doherty (69), D Kirby for McLoughlin (74), G Cafferkey for Higgins (74).

REF: Joe McQuillan (Cavan).




DUBLIN 1-16 MAYO 0-7

In a very uncharacteristically one-sided game for these two modern rivals Dublin cruised to a 12-point victory in this FL Division 1 clash at Croke Park.

A massive crowd of 34,758 turned up and certainly those of a blue hue will have been delighted with the display of their footballers.

Dublin set the tone from the opening seconds of the game with the midfield duo of Brian Fenton and Michael Darragh Macauley establishing an early supremacy which they never relinquished.

The Dubs moved into an early 1-2 to 0-2 lead inside just seven minutes.

Conor McHugh finished the goal off to the net after Niall Scully did brilliantly to cut out a David Clarke kickout before combining with Ciaran Kilkenny who placed the Na Fianna clubman for a simple finish.

Dublin continued to apply the pressure and Dublin really should moved further clear in the second period but spurned a few chances in front of goal.

But Dublin closed out the half well with points from Philly McMahon, Dean Rock (free) and an excellent point from Eric Lowndes.

By the interval Jim Gavin's men were 1-5 to 0-2 clear with both of Mayo's scores coming from deadballs.

Any time Mayo did threaten to breach the Dublin defence Stephen Cluxton stood strong to deny both Cillian O'Connor and Kevin McLoughlin on two separate occasions.

Cluxton also had great protection in front of him with Mick Fitzsimons enjoying an outstanding opening half.

Dublin never looked in trouble in the second half and but for the goalkeeping heroics of David Clarke would have won by more.

Clarke denied Michael Darragh before the 'goal' was ruled out as the Boden man swept the ball to the net along the ground with his hand.

The Mayo netminder after frustrated Paddy Andrews from the penalty spot after Dean Rock had been fouled by Donie Vaughan.

Clarke not alone saved the initial penalty but also the rebound and then, assisted by Colm Boyle, scrambled the ball to safely and Dublin tried to make it third time lucky.

Next up for the Dubs is an away trip to Tralee to face the Kingdom on Saturday, March 18.

“We're building all the time and we've a cracking game next up (against Kerry),” said Dubs boss Jim Gavin afterwards.

"It's Roscommon then and Monaghan so we're building towards three months' time and our opening round against Carlow or Wexford in the Championship and that's what our focus is on.

“It was a workmanlike performance. I thought when we played in Ballybofey against Donegal that we controlled it for large portions of the game. It was a different challenge against a really good Donegal defensive system but we didn't finish that game out.

“We just looked for that performance piece over the expanse of this game and we got it in patches. They had quite a few wides, quite a few chances that they didn't take. Overall, for this time of the season, first week in March, and three months out from the Championship, we're happy to get the two points.”

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-8 (0-6f), C McHugh 1-3, P McMahon, E Lowndes 0-2 each, P Flynn 0-1. Mayo: E Regan (0-2f), C O'Connor (0-1f, 0-1 '45') 0-2 each, T Parsons, S Coen, C Boyle 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; M Fitzsimons, P McMahon, D Byrne; D Daly, J Small, E Lowndes; B Fenton, MD Macauley; N Scully, C Kilkenny, SB Carthy; D Rock, E O'Gara, C McHugh. Subs: P Andrews for O'Gara (45), P Flynn for Carthy (50), K McManamon for McHugh (55), C Reddin for Byrne (66), E O Conghaile for Fenton (70), C Mulally for Small (71).

MAYO: D Clarke; P Durcan, L Keegan, K Higgins; S Coen, C Boyle, D Vaughan; T Parsons, J Gibbons; F Boland, K McLoughlin, D O'Connor; E Regan, C O'Connor, A Moran. Subs: B Harrison for Gibbons (ht), S Nally for Vaughan BC (50), C O'Shea for Moran (54), C Loftus for D O'Connor (63), D Kirby for Boland (66).

REF: D Coldrick (Meath).




DUBLIN 1-15 MAYO 1-14

Dublin showed the mark of true champions when they retained the Sam Maguire in Saturday's exciting All-Ireland SFC final replay at Croke Park in front of an attendance of 82,249.

In the modern era achieved the back-to-back titles has become mission impossible but on Saturday the Dubs proved that impossible is nothing as for the first time since 1977 the boys in blue are champions for successive years.

This Dublin team just continue to write their own history with captain Stephen Cluxton becoming the first captain in history to lift the Sam Maguire on three occasions.

The game, like the drawn encounter, was edge of the seat stuff with numerous twists and turns before ref Maurice Deegan's final whistle.

Cormac Costello was the Dublin match-winner, kicked three excellent points, two off the left, after being introduced into the cauldron in the 56th minute while fellow sub Michael Darragh Macauley was hugely influential going down the home straight, and Bernard Brogan slotted one fine point.

Diarmuid Connolly’s expertly taken second-half penalty gave the Dubs injection they needed at the time and in a double blow the luckless Rob Hennelly was black-carded.

Dean Rock recovered from an unsteady first game to deliver a free-taking masterclass, with the forceful running of Kevin McManamon drawing fouls from the Mayo rearguard, as well as contributing two valuable points from play and also working tirelessly back the field throughout - the Ballymun Kickhams man finished the championship as the nation's top-scorer.

Deep in injury-time Mayo's Cillian O'Connor missed a tricky free which if on target would have forced this titanic battle into extra-time.

O’Connor had an opportunity to do it again, but missed a difficult free deep into stoppage time.

Dublin, so lacklustre in the drawn game, started like a train and were 0-4 to 0-0 clear before Mayo settled. Rock slotted three, two from play, with Kevin McManamon arcing over the other from the right wing.

But Mayo settled, and they were level by the 13th minute with a four-point salvo - Patrick Durcan got them off the mark and Cillian O’Connor slotted his frees.

Rock had edged Dublin back in front before Lee Keegan struck for an 18th minute goal with a stunning finish.

A minute later Jonny Cooper's day was over as he fell victim to a black card.

Thankfully David Byrne slotted seamlessly into a full-back line where Mick Fitzsimons was immense.

Before the break Mayo lost goal-scorer Keegan to a black card for a foul on Diarmuid Connolly and Rock put away the free to give Dublin the interval advantage, 0-10 to 1-6.

Mayo restarted the better with Diarmuid and Cillian (free) O'Connor on target.

Seven minutes into the second period a Paul Flynn delivery into the square was fumbled by keeper Rob Hennelly, Paddy Andrews pounced on the spill but was dragged down by the Mayo No 1 resulting in the Connolly penalty and another black card for Mayo.

Enter Costello for the final quarter and he made a match-winning contribution in kicking three points while Dublin's defence held out heroically in a frenetic finish with the final whistle going after Darren Daly made a block on Tom Parsons.

They said it couldn't be done - but the Dubs did it - back-to-back All-Ireland champions!

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-9 (0-7f), D Connolly 1-1 (1-0 pen) C Costello 0-3, K McManamon, B Brogan 0-1 each. Mayo: C O'Connor 0-9 (0-9f), L Keegan 1-0, P Durcan 0-2, K McLoughlin, D O'Connor, A Moran 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; P McMahon, J Cooper, M Fitzsimons; J McCarthy, C O'Sullivan, J Small; B Fenton, P Flynn; P Andrews, K McManamon, C Kilkenny; D Rock, D Connolly, P Mannion.Subs: D Byrne for Cooper (BC 19), B Brogan for Andrews (46), MD Macauley for Mannion (51), C Costello for McManamon (56), E Lowndes for Small (59), D Daly for O’Sullivan (71).

MAYO: R Hennelly, B Harrison, D Vaughan, K Higgins, L Keegan, C Boyle, P Durcan, S O'Shea, T Parsons, K McLoughlin, A O'Shea, D O'Connor, J Doherty, A Moran, C O'Connor. Subs: S Coen for Keegan (BC 35), C O’Shea for Vaughan (ht), D Clarke for Hennelly (BC 41), B Moran for A Moran (54), A Dillon for Doherty (59).

REF: M Deegan (Laois).




DUBLIN 2-9 MAYO 0-15

Dublin and Mayo will have it all to do again after Cillian O'Connor's late point snatched a draw for the Connacht men in this All-Ireland SFC final at Croke Park.

In a match full of incident if not of the highest quality in difficult conditions the Dubs led by three points entering the seven minutes added time following points from the excellent John Small, a Dean Rock free and super point off his left by Diarmuid Connolly.

However, it wasn't to be as Mayo battled bravely back with scores from Cillian O'Connor (free), Dylan Vaughan and O'Connor with the equaliser forcing a replay.

Dublin never played to their capabilities all day or were not let play to their capabilities.

But by half-time they somehow led 2-4 to 0-5 after two fortunate goals - the moves leading up to the goals were well executed but the finish had more than an element of luck to them from a Dublin perspective.

In the ninth minute Brian Fenton cut through the Mayo defence, his shot was well saved by David Clarke before Bernard Brogan's rebound two two deflections of Mayo men on it's way to the net, eventually making it's way there off Kevin McLoughlin's left boot.

In the 22nd minute a sublime free from Diarmuid Connolly placed Dean Rock behind the Mayo full-back line, the Ballymun Kickhams man fumbled the ball onto the boot of the in-rushing Colm Boyle, beating his own team-mate Clarke from close range to put Dublin 2-0 to 0-3 clear.

Dublin lost James McCarthy to a black card in the 25th minute with the introduction of Paddy Andrews to the Dublin attack sparking a bit more life out of the forward unit.

Andrews tagged on two fine points and by the interval the Dubs were five clear, 2-4 to 0-5.

If Dublin were hoping for a restart similar to that versus Kerry it utterly failed to materialise as Mayo were the ones full of running and aggression.

Five points in-a-row from Andy Moran, Patrick Durcan and three from Cillian O'Connor (two frees) had Mayo level by the 46th minute.

Dublin responded however with Fenton and Dean Rock on target but back came Mayo again through Andy Moran, a point when a goal opportunity was there, and sub Alan Dillon to level it once again with six minutes of normal time to play.

Dublin looked like the could have edged it with those scores from Small, Rock and Connolly but Mayo were not to be done and did brilliantly to find the scores for the draw.

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-4 (0-3f), P Andrews 0-2, B Fenton, J Small, D Connolly 0-1 each, K McLoughlin, C Boyle own goal each. Mayo: C O'Connor 0-7 (0-5f), D Vaughan, A Moran 0-2 each, T Parsons, J Doherty, P Durcan, A Dillon 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; J Cooper, P McMahon, D Byrne; J McCarthy, C O'Sullivan, J Small; B Fenton, MD Macauley; D Connolly, P Flynn, C Kilkenny; K McManamon, D Rock, B Brogan. Subs: P Andrews for McCarthy (BC 25), P Mannion for McManamon (47), M Fitzsimons for Macauley (52), E O'Gara for Brogan (62), D Daly for Byrne (67), D Bastick for Flynn (74).

MAYO: D Clarke; B Harrison, K Higgins, P Durcan; D Vaughan, C Boyle, L Keegan; S O'Shea, T Parsons; D O'Connor, J Doherty, K McLoughlin; C O'Connor, A O'Shea, A Moran. Subs: A Dillon for S O'Shea (55), C Barrett for Boyle (59), B Moran for Dillon (inj 66), S Coen for D O'Connor (67), E Regan for A Moran (71), C Loftus for Regan (inj 79).

REF: C Lane (Cork).

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter