Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
County News
Flashbacks: Recent Dublin versus Meath clashes

Flashbacks: Recent Dublin versus Meath clashes

Wed, 19th June 2019

Dublin and Meath meet for the 64th time in senior football championship this Sunday in Croke Park (4.0).

The game forms part of a double-header with the Leinster JFC final between the Royal County and Kildare (1.45).

Dublin's record currently stands at 36 victories, 19 loses and eight draws in SFC games against Meath.

The counties have not clashed too regularly in recent times as they are not in the same League Division though Meath's promotion this spring will change that next year.

They met last January in the O'Byrne Cup semi-final when the game was decided by penalties in Dublin's favour.

The previous month the sides met in the Sean Cox fundraiser game in Navan when Meath won 0-16 to 1-11.

Here we look back at this year's O'Byrne Cup clash and the most recent Championship encounters in 2013, 2014 and 2016.



SATURDAY, JANUARY 12: Parnell Park

DUBLIN 1-12 MEATH 1-12 (Dublin won 3-1 on penalties)

Dublin qualified for the O'Byrne Cup final in dramatic circumstances at Parnell Park in front of an attendance of close to 7,000.

This experimental Dublin side went on to face eventual champions Westmeath in the final at Parnell Park.

After a frenetic finish in normal time that concluded with Meath freetaker Mikey Newman converting a free to force penalties the drama continued with Seán Tobin the only one of the Royal County's penalty-takers to be successful as Mickey Newman and goalkeeper Barry Dardis shot over the bar while Thomas O'Reilly's effort was saved by Andy Bunyan.

Dublin were clinical with all three takers Aaron Byrne, Oisín Lynch and Conor McHugh successful from the spot.

Meath, backed by the wind, started the better with early points from Daragh Campion, Ben Brennan and Mickey Newman (mark) with Oisín Lynch Dublin's only scorer.

Meath struck for their goal in the eighth minute when Barry Dardis' kickout was flicked on strongly from midfield and Dublin found themselves totally on the backfoot as their opponents worked an overlap well for Graham Reilly to fire past Bunyan to make it 1-3 to 0-2.

Dublin rallied well with points from Lynch, a stylish point with the outside of the right boot, and a Stephen Smith free.

As the half progressed Dublin's new-look team grew into the game with the likes of Robbie McDaid and Darren Gavin giving them a foothold in the contest.

Points from Smith and Seán Bugler followed to make it 1-5 to 0-6 with ten minutes remaining in the half.

The Dubs, managed by senior selector Paul Clarke on the night, concluded the half in impressive fashion.

In the 34th minute a well weighted handpass from Nathan Doran put Bugler in behind the Meath full-back line and the St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh man set up Robbie McDaid who swept the ball to the net and by the break the sides were level after Ryan Basquel kicked the first of his four fine points from play overall.

Points from Aaron Byrne and Basquel had Dublin 1-10 to 1-9 in front at the three-quarter mark and after the game went a bit flat for a short spell it finished with a flurry of excitement.

Seán McMahon and Conor McHugh both scored great individual points for the Dubs but deep in injury-time Newman converted a close range free to force penalties.

SCORERS - Dublin: R Basquel 0-4, R McDaid 1-0, O Lynch, S Smith (0-2f) 0-2 each, A Byrne, S Bugler, C McHugh, S McMahon 0-1 each. Meath: M Newman 0-5 (0-4f, 0-1 mark), G Reilly 1-2, D Campion 0-3, B Brennan, J Conlon 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: A Bunyan; N Doran, S McMahon, CJ Smith; C O'Connor, C Mullaly, R McDaid; D Gavin, C Howley; R Basquel, A Byrne, S Bugler; S Smith, C Pearson, O Lynch. Subs: C McHugh for S Smith (46), C Reddin for Howley (46), A McGowan for Byrne (53), S Boland for Doran (53), G Seaver for Basquel (64), J Hazley for Bugler (71).

MEATH: B Dardis; S Lavin, C McGill, R Ryan; J McEntee, D Keogan, N Kane; B Menton, A Flanagan; N Hickey, B Brennan, D Quinn; D Campion, M Newman, T O'Reilly. Subs: G Reilly for Hickey (blood sub, 10), Hickey for Reilly (23), Reilly for Hickey (ht), M Brennan for Dardis (ht), G McCoy for Quinn (ht), S Tobin for B Brennan (49), J Conlon for Campion (64).

REF: F Kelly (Longford).



SUNDAY, JUNE 26: Croke Park

DUBLIN 0-21 MEATH 0-11

Dublin strode into another Leinster final, where they went on to face Westmeath, following this comfortable provincial semi-final win over Meath at Croke Park.

Like in their quarter-final victory over Laois the accuracy of Dean Rock and Diarmuid Connolly was central to Dublin's victory against a defensive-minded Royal County.

Meath started the better and led 0-3 to 0-1 inside ten minutes they also had an early goal-scoring opportunity but first Stephen Cluxton and then David Byrne denied Dalton McDonagh.

Goal-scoring chances were few and far between as Meath deployed Pádraic Harnan in front of their own full-back line to cut out the shortest route to goal.

It was a tactic that was successful in denying the Dubs of a goal for the game but Meath failed up front to really cause Dublin too many problems after their early scoring flurry - they only scored three points in the second half with the last of these coming from sub Ronan Jones deep in injury-time.

After their slow start two Dean Rock frees in the 12th and 14th minute had Dublin level before great interplay culminated in a fine Brian Fenton point to put Dublin ahead.

Dublin continued to hold the upperhand but at times were struggling to show their usual accuracy into a difficult wind.

Points from Paul Flynn, following good work by Connolly and Kevin McManamon, and Bernard Brogan nosed Dublin 0-7 to 0-4 clear by the 23rd minute.

By the interval Dublin led 0-11 to 0-8 and looked comfortable enough with wind advantage to come.

Dublin restarted well with two Rock points, one a free, and before the midpoint of the half further scores from Brogan and two more from Rock, the second a free following a foul on Paul Flynn had Jim Gavin's men 0-16 to 0-9 clear by the 50th minute.

SCORERS - Dublin: D Rock 0-10 (0-9f), D Connolly 0-4, B Brogan 0-3, P Flynn 0-2, P Mannion, B Fenton 0-1 each. Meath: M Newman 0-4 (0-3f), G Reilly 0-3, C O'Sullivan 0-2 (0-1f), E Wallace, R Jones 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; P McMahon, J Cooper, D Byrne; J McCarthy, C O'Sullivan, J Small; B Fenton, D Bastick; P Flynn, K McManamon, C Kilkenny; D Rock, D Connolly, B Brogan. Subs: MD Macauley for Bastick (ht), P Mannion for Brogan (53), P Andrews for McManamon (58), E Lowndes for Small (60), M Fitzsimons for O'Sullivan (63), C O'Callaghan for Flynn (67).

MEATH: P O'Rourke; D Tobin, D Keogan, M Burke; D Smyth, P Harnan, A Douglas; H Rooney, C O'Brien, G Reilly, C O'Sullivan, E Wallace; D McDonagh, A Tormey, M Newman. Subs: R Jones for Tormey (53), S Lavin for E Wallace (54),S Tobin for McDonagh (60), J Wallace for Reilly (63), C Finn for Douglas (67), B McMahon for O'Sullivan (67).

REF: R Hickey (Clare).



SUNDAY, JULY 20: Croke Park

DUBLIN 3-20 MEATH 1-10

Dublin's dominance of the Leinster SFC continued when defeating Meath by 16 points in the 2014 provincial decider at Croke Park.

Victory secured Dublin's fourth Delaney Cup in-a-row as they defeated Meath in the final for the third time in succession.

Dublin looked like they meant business from the first whistle and led 0-5 to 0-1 inside 16 minutes.

While the Dublin forwards were finding their feet up front the defence looked secure to blunt any early Meath forays.

Dublin's first goal in the 19th minute had an element of good fortune to it when man of the match, Kevin McManamon's, point effort hit an upright before being gathered by Bernard Brogan who finished to the net at the second attempt.

The Dubs also finished the half on top with Bernard Brogan (free) and three points from the energetic McManamon opening up a 1-12 to 0-6 lead by the break.

The first of this trio of McManamon scores typified Dublin's hold on the game as Michael Fitzsimons did very well in defence to win possession which was swept forward quickly as Dublin's maximised the superiority in terms of pace to carve out scoring opportunities.

Five minutes into the second half McManamon was tormenting the Meath defence again when he powered his way past Pádraic Harnan before clinically finishing to he net past Paddy O'Rourke - Dublin 2-13 to Meath 0-7.

There was to be no way back for Mick O'Dowd's men with Bernard Brogan, Jack McCaffrey and Paul Flynn tagging on points to see their side accelerate almost out of sight, 2-16 to 0-7.

The introduction of the likes of Dean Rock, Cormac Costello and Eoghan O'Gara did nothing to lessen the Dublin cause, in fact, all three especially O'Gara and Costello proceeded to make valuable contributions as Dublin strode to victory.

SCORERS - Dublin: B Brogan 1-6 (0-4f), K McManamon 1-5, E O'Gara 1-1, S Cluxton (0-1 '45'), J McCaffrey, C O'Sullivan, P Flynn, A Brogan, D Connolly, C Costello, D Rock 0-1 each. Meath: M Newman 1-2 (0-1f), A Tormey, S Bray, S O'Rourke (0-2f) 0-2 each, D Bray, D Carroll 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; P McMahon, R O'Carroll, M Fitzsimons; J McCarthy, M Devereux, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley, C O'Sullivan; P Flynn, A Brogan, D Connolly; K McManamon, P Mannion, B Brogan. Subs: C Costello for Mannion (ht), D Rock for Connolly (42), E O'Gara for A Brogan (49), D Daly for Devereux (59), D Bastick for Macauley (59), T Brady for O'Sullivan (69).
MEATH: P O'Rourke; E Harrington, K Reilly, B Menton; P Harnan, D Keogan, D Tobin; G Reilly, S O'Rourke; D Carroll, B McMahon, A Tormey; D McDonagh, S Bray, M Newman. Subs: J Wallace for G Reilly (32), M Burke for Carroll (ht), D Bray for McDonagh (46), B Meade for S O'Rourke (46), J McEntee for McMahon (53), P Gilsenan for Tobin (71).

REF: P Hughes (Armagh).



SUNDAY, JULY 14: Croke Park

DUBLIN 2-15 MEATH 0-14

Dublin lifted the Delaney Cup for the eighth time in nine seasons after a second half power-play saw them overcome Meath by seven points at GAA Headquarters.

Mick O'Dowd's Meath put in a real gutsy display and exposed some possible chinks in Dublin's armour, especially in their full-back line which was tormented at times by Stephen Bray and Mickey Newman.

Dublin trailed by two points at the break but Jim Gavin had Ciaran Kilkenny, who ended the game with 34 possessions, and Paul Mannion, who scored 1-4, to thank for grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck in the second period to inspire the Dubs to yet another provincial success.

The Royals got off to a lightning start with Stephen Bray twice shrugging off Rory O’Carroll to score a brace.

Paul Mannion opened Dublin’s account with a fine left-footed score as they game got off to a promising opening.

It took four minutes for Dublin to find the net with the subtlety of Mannion setting up Paul Flynn to blast to the roof of the net.

Mick O’Dowd’s side were competitive, especially in the middle third, but poor shooting from frees and play was not aiding their chances.

The Royal County could have had a goal in the 14th minute when Stephen Bray sent Damien Carroll in one-on-one with Stephen Cluxton but he blasted wide from a difficult angle.

Meath were punished by points from Diarmuid Connolly and the lively Mannion.

Mickey Newman finally found his range at the third time of asking with a free he earned himself.

Diarmuid Connolly nearly gave the Blues the perfect reply but his shot was saved by the feet of Paddy O’Rourke although Stephen Cluxton did kick over the resultant '45'.

Eamonn Wallace showed his pace to beat Johnny Cooper and fist over to make it 1-4 to 0-4 after 24 minutes.

Jack McCaffrey was harshly penalised for what looked like a legitimate shoulder and Mickey Newman made it a two-point game.

Newman was continuing to find his feet and points from play and a free were followed by a second point from Wallace and the Royals were in front.

A fifth Newman point from well outside the Dublin 45-metre line and Meath led by 0-9 to 1-4 at the interval.

The Royals lead was completely eroded within two minutes of the restart with Bernard Brogan and Ciaran Kilkenny adding points for the reigning provincial champions.

A tremendous effort on his weaker left foot from Paul Flynn had the Dubs back in front by the 38th minute.

Mickey Newman equalised with his first free into Hill 16 but that point was immediately responded to by a fine point from Ciaran Kilkenny who was set up by the flying wing-back combination of James McCarthy and Jack McCaffrey.

Kilkenny’s third point of the half in the 41st minute doubled Dublin’s advantage.

Brian Meade sliced over his first point before Mickey Newman sold two beautiful dummies before kicking over with his left foot for the point if the game to restore parity.

Cluxton’s second free edged Gavin’s men in front on 45 minutes and then he was on-hand to deny Eamonn Wallace a goal two minutes later.

Paul Mannion’s free had Dublin two in front and they almost had a goal when sub Kevin McManamon sent Jack McCaffrey through on goal but he blasted the ball against the crossbar.

Mannion got another from play to make it 1-12 to 0-12 with 16 minutes remaining.

Diarmuid Connolly had an effort cleared off the line before Stephen Bray had a shot saved by Stephen Cluxton.

Mickey Newman had a goal chance but opted to kick his eighth point of the afternoon but that was cancelled out by Stephen Cluxton’s third point of the afternoon.

Dublin had been knocking on the door and finally struck for their second goal on the hour mark after Paddy O’Rourke saved Kevin O'Brien’s effort but the ball fell for Paul Mannion to soccer-style to the net.

A sublime team score finished off by Dean Rock made it 2-14 to 0-13 with eight minutes remaining

Meath tried in vain to score the goal which would have gave them a chance and Dean Rock’s free three minutes from time was merely an insurance score. Joe Sheridan scored a consolation late on as Dublin secured a seven-point win.

SCORERS - Dublin: P Mannion 1-4 (0-2f), P Flynn 1-1, C Kilkenny, S Cluxton (0-2f, 0-1 '45') 0-3 each, D Rock 0-2 (0-1f) D Connolly, B Brogan (0-1f) 0-1 each. Meath: M Newman 0-8 (0-5f), E Wallace, S Bray 0-2 each, B Meade, J Sheridan 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; J Cooper, R O’Carroll, K O’Brien; J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey; MD MacAuley, C O’Sullivan; P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly; P Mannion, E O’Gara, B Brogan. Subs: K McManamon for B Brogan (16-18), K McManamon for O’Gara (46), D Bastick for O’Sullivan (46), D Daly for Brennan (57), D Rock for B Brogan (60), B Cullen for Connolly (65).

MEATH: P O’Rourke; D Keogan, K Reilly, M Burke; P Harnan, S Kenny, B Menton; B Meade, C Gillespie; P Byrne, D Carroll, G Reilly; E Wallace, S Bray, M Newman. Subs: C Lennon for Kenny (49), J Sheridan for Carroll (52), A Tormey for Meade (60), D McDonagh for Wallace (65).

REF: E Kinsella (Laois).

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter