Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Opening night SFC wins for Vincent’s and Na Fianna

Opening night SFC wins for Vincent’s and Na Fianna

Fri, 13th April 2018

Defending champions, St Vincent's, opened their Dublin SFC Group 2 campaign with a facile 5-18 to 1-9 victory over Skerries Harps in Parnell Park on Thursday night.

Tomás Quinn and Cormac Diamond both helped themselves to a brace of goals in an encounter that was really settled by the half-time interval with the Marino men leading by 4-11 to 0-7.

Quinn hit two goals inside the opening quarter and despite an encouraging opening by Skerries they had no answer to Vincent's all-round energy and efficiency.

Early points from Harry Dawson and Stephen Smith saw Harps keep the early pace but a sixth minute goal from Quinn following a run by Diamond bolted Vins in front and with points from Gavin Burke, Ger Brennan and Diamond they it was starting to look ominous.

Fifteen minutes in ace-poacher Quinn struck for this second, this time after great approach play from Lorcan Smyth, who lined out instead of Diarmuid Connolly.

Goals late in the opening half from Shane Carthy, after Nathan Mullins' initial attempt had been saved, and Cormac Diamond made it 4-11 to 0-7 after a one-sided opening 30 minutes.

Skerries Harps did raise a green flag when Harry Dawson converted from the penalty spot after Donal McIlgorm was fouled but still Vincent's had the final say when Diamond, who finished with a personal tally of 2-3, fired to the net past Alan Cullinan to complete their 21-point victory.

St Vincent's face Na Fianna in their next game, a side they have encountered in numerous occasions in SFC action in recent times.

In the second game at the Donnycarney venue Na Fianna came with a strong finish to edge out Lucan Sarsfields, 3-9 to 1-10, also in SFC Group 2.

Lucan were two up just inside the concluding ten minutes following points from sub Darren Gavin, his second of the night, and Connor Gallagher but it was the St Mobhi Road men who sprinted to the finishing tape.

Darragh Kennedy finished a fine goal with nine minutes remaining with Seán Caffrey hitting Na Fianna's third goal, Conor McHugh having grabbed the first, in added time.

Lucan led 1-4 to 0-6 after a well-balanced opening half.

Connor and Brendan Gallagher impressed in the first half for Lucan Sarsfields with Harry Ladd grabbing their goal in the ninth minute.

But Na Fianna battled back with a brace of Glenn O'Reilly frees and point from play by Aaron Byrne.

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter