Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Quinn points way as Vins defeat the Mun

Quinn points way as Vins defeat the Mun

Sat, 3rd October 2015


St Vincent's showed just why they are champions when a second half scoring surge saw they defeat Ballymun Kickhams in Saturday night's Dublin SFC second round clash at Parnell Park.

A large crowd in Donnycarney were treated to a good, hard championship battle with the greater team-work and understanding of the Marino side a key factor in their victory.

So also was the accuracy of Tomás Quinn who kicked nine points, including seven frees and a '45', as Tommy Conroy's men booked a quarter-final berth where they face Lucan Sarsfields (following their second round win against Pat's of Palmerstown).

Ger Brennan also enjoyed a solid comeback to competitive action following the Achilles injury and subsequent operation that ruled him out of Dublin's plans this year.

Vincent's led 0-9 to 0-4 after 25 minutes but Ballymun lifted their display over the close of the half to score four unanswered points through Jason Whelan, Karl Connolly, James Burke and a Dean Rock free to enter the break one in arrears, 0-9 to 0-8.

There were some fine individual scores in the opening half with Diarmuid Connolly's brilliantly struck 50-metre free from the hands among the best. He also had a goal opportunity in the 23rd minute after a slick Vincent's move carved through the Mun defence but their goalkeeper Evan Comerford did well to parry Connolly's effort over the bar.

In the opening minute of the second half John Small powered his way through the heart of the Vincent's defence to fire over an excellent point and bring the sides level.

That was as good as it got for Kickhams however as Vincent's suddenly went into a different gear to shoot eight points without reply to secure victory.

Sub Kevin Golden scored two super points while impressive wing-back Nathan Mullins also kicked one of the best scores of the day on the run in the 41st minute.

Ballymun's night might have been encapsulated in the 47th minute when a high ball into the danger area broke for Elliott Reilly and his goalbound shot was stopped by Mullins and the Marino side broke immediately up the field for defender Cameron Diamond to fire over.

Ballymun did have a penalty in the 55th minute but Rock's effort was too high and clipped the crossbar on its way over for a point.

With it what slim hopes they had of a dramatic comeback disappeared.

SCORERS - St Vincent's: T Quinn 0-9 (0-7, 0-1 '45'), N Mullins, K Golden, D Connolly (0-1f) 0-2 each, Cameron Diamond, S Carthy, Cormac Diamond, J Feeney 0-1 each. Ballymun Kickhams: D Rock 0-5 (0-4f, 0-1 pen), J Whelan 0-2, K Connolly, A Hubbard, J Burke, D McGivney, L O'Donovan, P Small 0-1 each.

ST VINCENT'S: M Savage; Cameron Diamond, J Curley, M Concarr; B Egan, G Brennan, N Mullins; E Fennell, S Carthy; G Burke, D Connolly, Cormac Diamond; R Trainor, C Dorney, T Quinn. Subs: K Golden for Fennell (22), J Feeney for Dorney (38), H Gill for Cameron Diamond (57, blood sub), A Baxter for Trainor (59), M Loftus for Golden (60), C Wilson for Cormac Diamond (63).

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS: E Comerford; K Connolly, P McMahon, A Hubbard; E Dolan, J Small, J Burke; J McCarthy, D McGivney; A O'Brien, D Rock, Davey Byrne; J Whelan, K Leahy, F Andrews. Subs: T Furman for O'Brien (35), E Reilly for Andrews (48), P Small for Leahy (52), L O'Donovan for Whelan (57), G Archibold for McGivney (57).

REF: D O'Connor (Nh Mearnóg).

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter