Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Round Up: Adult Hurling League 1 and Adult Football League 2

Round Up: Adult Hurling League 1 and Adult Football League 2

Mon, 13th November 2023

Two second-half goals from Liam Mostyn proved crucial as Faughs preserved their Go Ahead Dublin Adult Hurling League Division 1 status when pipping local rivals St Jude’s by 2-11 to 0-16 at Tymon Park on Sunday afternoon.

After losing the Dublin SHC2 decider a week previously, St Jude’s were determined to finish the season on a high and opened up brightly thanks to two points from play by Joe McManus.

Faughs responded with the next three scores through two James O’Brien frees and a Fergal Heavey point from play before their opponents got their noses in front thanks to scores from frees by McManus.

It remained tight all the way through with Faughs trimming their interval deficit to the bare minimum (0-8 to 0-7) following points from O’Brien and Mostyn.

A McManus ‘65’ doubled the St Jude’s advantage early in the second-half but their shooting struggled from that point as they struck five poor wides on the bounce.

They were punished for their profligacy as Mostyn fired home in the 41st minute and that body blow was compounded as they were reduced to fourteen by the end of the third quarter with Ciaran Mangan shown the line.

Mostyn added a point to edge his side a point clear but McManus added two frees in quick succession to regain the St Jude’s lead prior to Mostyn finding the net for the second occasion in the 52nd minute.

An O’Brien point extended the Faughs lead to three points in the 56th minute but St Jude’s replied superbly by scoring the next three points to leave the teams deadlocked two minutes into injury time.

It was left to O’Brien to settle the issue as he converted a wonderful free from ninety metres out, keeping his side in the top flight and securing local bragging rights in the process.

In Dolphin Park, Kilmacud Crokes were also pushed all the way before retaining their Dublin Adult Football League Division 2 berth as they overcame Templeogue Synge Street by 1-7 to 1-5 at Dolphin Park.

It was the hosts that dominated the early stages, building an early three-point lead but Crokes gradually settled into the contest, encouraged by an excellent point from Daragh Dempsey.

Both Leo Fearon and Henry O’Donnell worked well in curbing the influence of both Killian O’Gara and Lorcan O’Dell as Synger led by the bare minimum (0-3 to 0-2) at the interval.

Kilmacud resumed on the front foot as Dempsey found the net following a well-worked team move and they continued to add to their lead through further scores by Luke Ward and Tom Doran.

The hosts netted late to offer brief hopes of a comeback but Kilmacud held on with goalkeeper Joe Mooney and midfielder Luke O’Kelly to the fore.

Meanwhile, the Dublin Under 21 ‘A’ Football Championship commenced over the weekend with Ballymun Kickhams, Ballinteer St John’s, Ballyboden St Enda’s and Cuala all advancing to the last four.

AHL1 relegation play-off: St Jude’s 0-16 Faughs 2-11.

 AFL2 relegation play-off: Templeogue Synge Street 1-5 Kilmacud Crokes 1-7.

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter