Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Round Up: Leinster Intermediate and Junior Football Championship

Round Up: Leinster Intermediate and Junior Football Championship

Mon, 20th November 2023

Pic Courtesy to Scoil Uí Chonaill Twitter

Scoil Uí Chonaill delivered another hugely committed and impressive performance in the semi-final of the AIB Leinster Club Intermediate Football Championship when defeating Rathkenny on penalties at Páirc Tailteann on Saturday afternoon.

The contest finished at 2-11 to 1-14 after extra-time, after the initial deadlock of 2-8 to 1-11 after sixty minutes with Scoil eventually securing their final berth when winning 3-2 on penalties.

The victory once again reflected well on the team’s determination as they fell seven points behind by the 42nd minute before launching a memorable comeback that moved them a point ahead prior to Keith Curtis’ levelling score for Rathkenny in the 60th minute.

It was Rathkenny that started the brighter thanks to early points by James O’Hare, Aaron Johnson, Corben Jenkinson and David Curtis with Scoil staying in touch thanks to an Andy Bunyan free, Emmet Rogan and Neil O’Flynn before a Rob Kennedy point reduced their arrears to the bare minimum (0-6 to 0-5) by half-time.

The Meath champions resumed on the front foot with Keith Curtis and Johnson extending their lead and they moved seven points clear as Eoghan Heavey netted as Scoil struggled to keep tabs with their opponents.

However, a goal from Brendan Murray at the end of the third quarter brought fresh impetus to Scoil and the lively Brendan O’Connell brought the teams level when plundering a goal in the 51st minute.

Brian Meade edged the hosts back in front but Rogan got Scoil back on track and in the lead before Keith Curtis’ excellent levelling score.

Keith Curtis and David Curtis handed the initiative back to Rathkenny in extra-time but Scoil were not found wanting with Rogan converting two tricky frees to prompt the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

David Curtis and Daniel Gavagan netted from their spot-kicks but Bunyan, the Scoil captain, was heroic between the sticks as he thwarted Heavey, Keith Curtis and opposite number Charlie Cullen.

After Rogan and Conor Coady had found the net, it was left to Brian Fleming to convert the winning kick, securing a decider with Allenwood from Kildare on Saturday week.

Meanwhile, in Naul, Man O’War saw their campaign end at the penultimate hurdle as they succumbed to Glyde Rangers by 0-9 to 0-7 in their AIB Leinster Club Junior Football Championship semi-final.

Despite falling behind early on, Man O’War impressed initially and moved two points clear following three successive scores by Sam Clancy, Willie Moore and Conor Dolan.

It was nip and tuck from that point as the Dublin champions entered the break with a narrow 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead courtesy of two Dolan frees.

Another Dolan free in the 36th minute doubled Man O’War’s advantage but they failed to score for the following sixteen minutes as the Louth outfit kicked three points on the bounce to overtake their opponents.

Clancy’s second point restored parity by the 52nd minute but Glyde finished the contest strongly, kicking the final two scores of the game.

Dolan, Clancy and Moore played well throughout for Man O’War but their efforts and those of Rob Lynch and Fintan McCluskey ultimately proved in vain by the final whistle.  

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter