Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Small fires Mun to SFC victory over Brigid’s

Small fires Mun to SFC victory over Brigid’s

Sat, 30th September 2017


Ballymun recovered from a poor start to book their spot in the last-four of the Dublin SFC at Parnell Park on Saturday night.

Kickhams will face Kilmacud Crokes in their semi-final in two weeks time following this eight-point victory.

However, it was the Russell Park outfit who made all the early running and opened up a 1-3 to 0-0 lead inside seven minutes.

Brigid's settled immediately and had a goal chance within the opening minute when John O'Loughlin crashed a shot off the crossbar.

Lorcan McCarthy opened the scoring in the second minute before Philly Ryan goal as the second attempt following good work by Darren Freeman.

Two further points from Lorcan McCarthy, one free, gave Mark Byrne's men a six-point advantage.

Dean Rock then took the grim look off the scoreboard for the Mun with a free before Man of the Match, Paddy Small, spun over the first of his 1-6 tally, all from play.

Small might have grabbed a goal but Shane Supple bravely blocked his shot but Small recovered to slot the point.

An excellent Mal Tighe point on the run in the 17th minute put Brigid's 1-5 to 0-3 clear but it was Kickhams who dominated to the break as they began to gain a strong platform around the middle of the park, especially on breaking ball.

Two minutes before the break Small brought the sides level after Dean Rock's aerial delivery was not dealt with by the Brigid's defence and Small palmed to the net after Eoin O'Neill fetched the ball and unselfishly placed his team-mate to make it 1-6 each.

Lorcan McCarthy edged Brigid's back in front before the break.

Tighe slotted his second point from play in the second minute but the next four points were all Ballymun scores with Rock, Small, James Burke, and Small on target.

Paddy Andrews cut the gap to the minimum, 1-10 to 1-9, before James Burke performed a superb goal-line clearance to deny Cathal Doyle.

From there to the finish the Mun were on top with scores from Rock (free), Burke, Small after Jason Whelan had two goal attempts blocked by Colin Lynch, Rock (free), Small and two more Rock points (one free) to secure victory.

SCORERS – Ballymun Kickhams: P Small 1-6, D Rock 0-8 (0-4f, 0-1 ‘45’), J Burke 0-2, J Whelan 0-1 each. St Brigid’s: L McCarthy 0-5 (0-4f), P Ryan 1-0, M Tighe, P Andrews 0-2 each.

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS: S Currie; E Dolan, A Hubbard, C Moore; C Keeley, J Small, J Burke; A Elliot, J McCarthy; J Whelan, D Rock, K Leahy; E O’Neill, P Small, P McMahon. Subs: E Comerford for Currie (ht), D Keating for O’Neill (58), C Hulton for Leahy (60), J Connolly for Moore (63).

ST BRIGID’S: S Supple; N Davey, A McCarrick, C Lynch; M Cahill, A Daly, G Kane; C Doyle, J O’Loughlin; D Plunkett, P Andrews, M Tighe; P Ryan, D Freeman, L McCarthy. Subs: J Mullins for McCarrick (13, inj), C Mullins for Davey (49), K Callaghan for D Freeman (51), M Donnelly for Tighe (53 inj).

REF: S McCarthy (St Vincent’s).

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter