Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
Some familiar duels in Round 2 of Go-Ahead Dublin SFC

Some familiar duels in Round 2 of Go-Ahead Dublin SFC

Wed, 22nd September 2021

This weekend's Go-Ahead Dublin SFC1/SFC2 Round 2 outcomes could decide some of the quarter-final berths.

Four games will be screened live on DubsTV - Saturday: Lucan Sarsfields v Round Towers Lusk (4.0) and Skerries Harps v Ballymun Kickhams (6.0); Sunday: St Vincent's v Kilmacud Crokes (2.0) and Ballyboden St Enda's v Na Fianna (4.0).

Over Friday, Saturday and Sunday plenty of great action is promised with the meeting of Ballyboden St Enda's and Na Fianna in Group 1 on Sunday afternoon in Parnell Park (4.0) arguably the tie of the round.

The sides last met in Championship action in the 2019 quarter-final when Ballyboden St Enda's prevailed 3-15 to 1-15 after extra-time in a duel full of drama, the Southsiders also won the 2018 last-eight contest between the same pairing (3-13 to 0-15).

In the 2019 encounter Colm Basquel was the Boden hero as his hat-trick saw Anthony Rainbow's men eventually edge out their Glasnevin opponents.

Basquel, who tallied 3-4 (0-1f) in total, kicked all of Boden's extra-time scores, 2-1 from play, after the southsiders rescued the game in the final moments of normal time to force extra-time.

In their opening round-robin game Boden defeated Raheny by 15 points, 2-17 to 0-8, following an impressive second-half showing.

Boden were 0-7 to 0-5 ahead at half-time before dominating the second half - outscoring their opponents 2-10 to 0-3 in the second period - including a dominance that resulted in a third-quarter score of 2-5 to 0-1.

Within a minute of the start to the second half Warren Egan, who scored 1-4 from play overall, fired to the Raheny net after Conal Keaney had initially forced a turnover to release Alan Flood goalward.

Raheny replied with a Darren Byrne point but it proved to be their only score of the third quarter as Boden moved 2-12 to 0-6 ahead by the three-quarter mark.

Colm Basquel got the second Boden goal in the 36th minute when he raced through on goal from outside the 45-metre line before finding the net.

Ryan Basquel, Conal Keaney and wing-back Simon Lambert (two) also contributed to Boden's scoring surge.

Boden had led by two points at half-time after both teams took a while to get properly motoring.

Raheny were also left to rue a number of good goal-scoring opportunities in the opening 30 minutes.

In the fifth minute Seán Grenham pulled his shot wide when he might have offloaded to Jack Dalton, unmarked on the far post.

Five minutes later Seán Grenham's shot beat Boden keeper Darragh Gogan but defender Harry Donaghy got a boot to Grenham's effort to redirect it over the bar.

In the second quarter Harry Donaghy, making his SFC debut, was again in the right spot at the right time when he stopped James O'Kane's goal-bound strike.

Na Fianna got their Go-Ahead Dublin SFC1 Group 1 account off to a winning start when defeating Whitehall Colmcille 1-18 to 0-12.

Na Fianna were nine points clear at the interval, 0-15 to 0-6, with David Quinn's goal in the 56th minute the only goal of the contest.

Whitehall enjoyed plenty of possession in the second half and outscored their opponents 0-3 to 0-1 in the third quarter while Matt Moran moved out the field from his full-back berth to try to quell the influence of Na Fianna's James Doran.

However, they really needed a goal by that stage if they were to mount a heroic comeback.

They did have the opportunity in the 42nd minute from the penalty spot, after the pacey Enda O'Donnell was fouled, but Cormac Costello's effort was well saved low to his right by Na Fianna 'keeper Stephen Murray.

The Glasnevin side had eight different scores over the hour with Dublin senior Aaron Byrne coming on during the second half to inject fresh life into their attack, he also added a fine point when he linked the play from deep defence into attack.

Na Fianna held a 0-15 to 0-6 advantage at half-time with James Doran in inspirational form. Doran hit four points from play by the interval but was also central to many other scores and was denied a goal in the ninth minute but the woodwork, his shot hitting the underside of the crossbar.

The Group 2 clash of Kilmacud Crokes and St Vincent's on Sunday in Parnell Park (4.0) is a meeting of two recent county champions - Crokes in 2018, Vincent's the previous year.

They met in last year's Championship at the quarter-final stage when Crokes put in a strong second half to emerge 4-15 to 1-12 victors.

Playing with the wind in the second half the Crokes inside forward line did the scoring as the Stillorgan side held Vincent’s to just four points in the second period.

Hugh Kenny struck both of Crokes second-half goals with Paul Mannion and Dara Mullin raising green flags during the first-half - Mullin finished with 1-5 (0-1f, 0-1m) while Mannion tallied 1-4 (0-1f) overall.

At the break Crokes led by the minimum, 2-6 to 1-8, after an exciting opening 30-plus minutes.

In Round 1 two second half goals saw Kilmacud Crokes ease to a 2-18 to 1-12 victory over Castleknock.

Castleknock concluded the opening half with a Rob Shaw goal, finishing coolly to the net, and a Ger McDermottroe free from 45 metres to trail 0-12 to 1-6 at the break.

However, Crokes restarted with intent. Andy McGowan fired over at the end of a long sequence of possession and then in the 33rd minute the Stillorgan men punished a Castleknock kick-out with Hugh Kenny making no mistake to goal from close range.

This gave Crokes a seven-point cushion, 1-13 to 1-6, and despite their best efforts Castleknock didn't get inside five points.

Tom Fox, who scored 1-5 from play, came very much to the fore in the second half when kicking three points from play to add to his two during the first half.

St Vincent's, who have given SFC debuts to plenty of young talent in the last two seasons, beat Ballinteer St John's 1-17 to 2-10 in their Group 2 opener.

Reigning champions Ballymun Kickhams face Skerries Harps in their Go-Ahead Dublin SFC1 Group 3 clash at Parnell Park on Saturday (4.0) - they clashed last year also in Round 1 when Kickhams won 3-18 to 0-12 in Páirc Ciceam.

Dean Rock and Paddy Small led the way for the 'Mun in their 15-point when scoring 2-13 between them.

In their opening round narrow win over Thomas Davis (1-12 to 1-10) Paddy Small did not feature while Rock was introduced as a second-half sub to help steer them to victory.

Kickhams had to call on all their big-game experience to come from behind to defeat Thomas Davis with Rock converting five frees as their greater impact off the bench proved crucial.

Ballymun got the opening score of the game, when Fiach Andrews converted a free in the third minute, but didn't lead again until the 57th minute when Rock slotted the fifth of his five frees.

Rock was just one of Ballymun's subs who made a positive impact off the bench with Ciarán McManus and Brian Ashton also lending momentum to their winning run.

The Kiltipper Road men were full value for their 1-9 to 1-4 lead in the 41st minute following an Eoin Kirby free but Ballymun had more energy over the conclusion to edge to victory.

Skerries Harps defeated Clontarf 0-11 to 0-7 in their opening round Group 3 contest in Balgriffin.A Harry Dawson point kickstarted a scoring surge by Harps to see them to victory.

Skerries keeper Shane Davis converted three 45s over the course of the hour with Stephen Smith, Ciarán Murphy and Harry Dawson all scoring two points.

Clontarf had led 0-6 to 0-5 at half-time with Kieran McKeon's point closing out the first-half scoring for the Dublin 3 side.

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter