Connect With Dublin GAA

Visit DubsTV
Club News
SFC1 wins for Mun, Crokes, St Jude’s and Castleknock

SFC1 wins for Mun, Crokes, St Jude’s and Castleknock

Sat, 14th April 2018

A Dean Rock inspired Ballymun Kickhams had little difficulty in overcoming St Brigid's 2-13 to 1-10 in their Dublin SFC Group 4 encounter in Parnell Park on Saturday afternoon.

The Dublin senior scored 1-10 (0-6f, 0-1 '45') in a fine individual display for The Mun who lined out without his county team-mate James McCarthy while Paddy Small was replaced at half-time.

By the interval, with Ted Furman doing well on the inside line as the target man, Rock had tallied all bar one of Ballymun's tally as they led 1-9 to 1-3, bar one Fiach Andrews point from play, with the Brigid's goal coming from the penalty spot in the second minute of added time.

Philly Ryan steered his penalty low to the left after Paddy Andrews had been fouled in the square.

Rock's goal came in the 21st minute when he rose high above Shane Supple to flick a brilliant Ted Furman pinpoint centre to the net.

By the 12th minute of the second half Kickhams were out of sight really as they led 2-10 to 1-4 following sub Conor Kavanagh's goal as they punished some careless use of the ball by Brigid's.

Kavanagh, a Dublin minor footballer in 2013, 14 and 15, put the goal opportunity away with precision after being place by Rock.

Rock added a point to extend the lead to ten points with 15 minutes to play.

Brigid's did score some good individual points in the second period through Paddy Andrews and Lorcan McCarthy but never had the same direction or support play as their opponents who eventually cruised to victory.

Two first half goals from Shane Horan set Kilmacud Crokes on the road to a 3-12 to 1-11 victory over Ballyboden St Enda's in Group 1.

In a great contest both goals came within a two-minute spell to see the Stillorgan side head into the break 2-6 to 0-6 in front.

Crokes opened well with points from Cian O'Connor, Dan O'Brien and Pat Burke before Boden rallied with scores from the impressive James Madden, Darren O'Reilly and a Colm Basquel free.

Crokes first goal came in the 13th minute following clinical interplay between Horan and Craig Dias saw Horan through on goal and under pressure he found the corner of Conor Dooley's net.

Two minutes later Horan showed good soccer skills to fire a ball over the top past  Dooley - Liam Flatman's brilliantly judged long handpass inviting the shot out of his full-forward.

However, after just 28 seconds of the second half Madden showed his blistering pace to cut open the Crokes defence and finish emphatically past David Nestor.

He almost repeated the trick later in the half but was blown up for overcarrying just before he fired to the net again.

Inside the last ten minutes points from Madden, Ryan Basquel (free) and Colm Basquel (free) had just two points between the sides, 2-8 to 1-9.

But sub Callum Pearson was to have a telling effect on the final scoreline as he helped himself to 1-2 before the finish.

His goal, in the 53rd minute, was brilliantly executed by Crokes with Paul Mannion picking out O'Brien and he drew the defender before placing Pearson, who blasted home.

Mannion kicked two superb frees before the finish, one from the stand side sideline and a free from over 45 metres to see his side to victory.

In O'Toole Park St Jude's finished strongly to defeat Ballinteer St John's 0-20 to 0-8 in Group 3.

Six points from Kevin McManamon saw him lead the way for the Tymon North men which Niall Coakley contributed 0-5 (0-1f) and wing-back Paul Cunningham slotted an impressive three points from play.

Jude’s led 0-8 to 0-6 at half-time.

But St John’s, for whom Fearghal Duffy scored 0-4 (0-3f), hung on bravely and closed the gap to 0-9 to 0-8.

Back came Jude’s will 11 points without reply as they got their campaign off to an impressive start.

At the same venue Castleknock easily accounted for Clontarf, 2-19 to 0-9, in Group 4.

Ciarán Kilkenny led by example for the Dublin 15 outfit, kicking five points from play as well as converting three frees.

Early in the second half Seamus O’Carroll was introduced as a sub – it was to telling effect.

O’Carroll finished with a tally of 2-3 (0-1f) while Michael Galvin (0-3, 1f) and Kevin Kindlon (0-2) were also on the mark.

Share This With Your Friends

Add To Facebook Share On Twitter